Friday, March 17, 2006

luck o' the Irish

So my parents named me Erin in 1976 in rural North Carolina where I would be the only Erin for miles around. Every substitute teacher with blue hair and bi-focals would call for 'Erwin', 'Ervin', 'Errrin Tootle', 'is HE here' and all that I endured with irate grace that the word Erin eluded so many southerners...occasionally, I still encounter occasional correspondence spelling my name AAron which is obviously the masculine way and I just suck it up but today....TODAY.....TO DAY, was my day, America....yes....today was free taco day at Taco maker...if...yes, and only if your name is Erin...yes!
Now taco maker is, almost, the most disgusting mexican food that I have encountered in my natural life but when they call my name, I come a runnin'....and it's for two weeks! Free tacos to everyone named Erin for two weeks! The rather portly woman at the register who was missing most of her teeth informed me that I was actually the first Erin to have been by since the promotion a week ago...(i know there are more Erins than just me, I'm pretty sure it's the taste (or lack thereof) of the food and the toothless service precluding most discerning Erins from frequenting the Taco maker). But I needed validation. Today was my day. Erin Day. Green eyed, dark haired glow in the dark white with freckles, Irish Erin day.
Erin go Bragh!
While we sat in the food court with my little family, my frugal husband beaming with pride that his wife got a free taco and he used his Blimpie punch card to get a free ultimate club so our whole lunch was $1.71 for a drink (and a little more for an oreo McFlurry because, you know...), Ruby began pulling her blanket in front of her face and pulling in down again while we said peek-a-boo...over and over again, my little Ruby played a game, cognitively, alertly, intentionally!....this may be normal for the other kids but Ruby has been a perpetual conundrum to me as a mother and now this!...my little baby is a real baby!! So I cried in the food court eating my free taco and watching my happy baby...
a good day.
except I think I'm getting sick...it's the throat...it gets me every time.
I got my little treats that I bought off of Marsha's etsy site and I am so happy with them...so cute...a little pair of so cute paper girls...
happy Erin day, everyone...may the force be with you as it has so obviously been with me today...
xoxo

1 comment:

Cindy Bean said...

Maybe if I moved to India or Tibet or something, there would be an "All Cindys eat for free" day there at a McDonald's around the fourth of July.

I would eat anywhere if it was in honor of me and free. Hurrah!