Thursday, April 06, 2006

owies

today I went out in the pouring rain/snow/poop to get my medicine from the pharmacy and go to DI when I got a call from Andi who had heard from Whitney that Downeast home in Sandy was having this huge sale on children's clothes from a really expensive brand name...so I got on the freeway and went to meet Andi and look at the pretty, pretty clothes and covet most of them and buy only 3 of them. While I was up at the cash register, Dellah was in her stroller and was playing with Xan who was standing beside her...The next thing I know, she has fallen on her face on the cement floor and is screaming with blood in her mouth. I was holding Ruby who also started to wail and I grabbed Dellah and Andi put Ruby in the carseat and Dellah and Ruby were screaming so loud the world stopped turning for a few minutes from sheer cacophony, not to mention all the shoppers who stopped to watch us exit into the pouring snow to go to the hospital. Dellah's lip was split open on the inside and her tooth was moved back and down...Upon shutting the car door and calling Gabriel, the floodgates of sadness and guilt and all other maternal negativity were opened and I was rivaling the sky with precipitation...My poor baby...my poor little beautiful creature with a huge lip and bloody drool and a tooth that will probably turn brown and fall out and she's not even two! So we took her to the ER and they said she was not quite stitchable and then we took her to the dentist who said to go to the pediatric dentist so we went to the pediatric dentist and he said, because Dellah spends all day with a pacifier in her mouth, the tooth that was moved back was actually not moved back far enough to go behind her bottom teeth (which would have meant having to move it back and blood and tears) because her front teeth are a little further out like a true passy sucker, we should just leave it alone and whatever happens to the color will happen and we should give her motrin and let her sleep. She kept looking at me with gigantic blue eyes and a huge bloody lip and saying, 'owie, mami....mami, owie...' and a bunch of other unintelligable things which had something to do with her mouth...I have never seen my children bleed before and I really didn't like it at all...what a brave little missy...she was over it long before I will be, I think...
It made me think how much parents love us...it's a little insane how much my world revolves around two small people who treat me like 'the help' and never say thank you for anything.
I think being a parent really is a way to be like God. It's hard.
thank goodness for black forest ham sandwiches with kettle cooked potato chips on toasted bread or I'd go crazy...

1 comment:

bug girl said...

That was such a sad story. I always hated to see blood when I was left to watch my siblings and they would go outside and throw rocks while I was watching the infants inside. Rocks and heads make for lots of blood regardless of the degree of injury. Scares you to death.