Saturday, March 15, 2008

mayhem and foolishness on Saturday

Part one.
Today was the fulfillment of every parent's dream; a reason to bribe and cajole your children for three months into doing what you want them to do. It was the Disney Princess Wishes on Ice. Gabriel was on the traxx after the opening night and saw all these little girls wearing their princess dresses. He said he thought we should get them some dresses so they could feel all special and happy and whatever. I thought about that for quite a while and I browsed the possibilities in every mercantile in my and several other zip codes. I came to the conclusion that I just couldn't do it. Oh, we have dress up clothes coming out the wazoo. We have superman and spiderman and tigers and ladybugs and ladies and turtles and flappers and white gloves and 12 pairs of plastic high heels but not a Disney specific dress in the bunch. And why would you go generic princess to a Disney princess event?
I wouldn't.
And then came the brainwave, halfway between the second target, the third wal mart, the first kid to kid and the only disney outlet store......PAJAMAS!!!!!!!!!
Every kids needs pajamas. Every girl loves princesses. Pajamas are engineered for comfort. Pajamas can be found with Princesses on them.
I don't think I have to say more but let me just tell you.
I had it narrowed down to a chartreuse pair and a pink pair that the girls actually picked and had bought the long sleeved coordinating t's to go underneath since it's not warm out and they were short sleeved. Stay with me.
So I'm milling around wal-mart which is where I finally ended up and after my 11th pass through the baby/kids part I see this lavender revelation....because it had long sleeves and must be put on clearance because we are forced to look at and buy summer things when it's snowing out just because it's March, It wasn't with the regular pajamas. And yet, there it was with the ugly generical onesies and dora the explorer nonsense that no one wanted from christmas.....
FOR FIVE DOLLARS!!!!!
Now they are 18 months size but I am totally and completely ALL about kids wearing stuff until it won't even go over their heads anymore and they can't reach out in front of themselves without ripping a seam. My 3 year olds are wearing 0-3 month pants as capris and 6-9 month dresses as shirts. So there you are. No undershirts needed. Five dollars. Two of the exact same thing so we don't have to hear any of the lip and No toddlers trudging around downtown with plastic high heels and blisters.
So we have these comfy kids and we're riding the traxx which is always fun and we get to the arena and I just want to make it clear to you.....
FOOLISHNESS people........I have never in my life seen such foolishness. I am apologizing here for offending the people who bought the $20 light up wands and the $12 snow cones and the $10 cotton candy but I am not saying a thing to those people who had taken their toddlers to the hair salon and were carrying babies that couldn't even walk yet wearing so much tulle I was having severe discomfort just looking at them not to mention wondering how much money these people had spent while the 300,000th Cinderella with the curled up-do was walking by with a light up wand and a snow cone and a flounder the fish hat and a $5 program while their dad was holding the huge kettle corn and the drink and the ice cream and the twizzlers.
I want you to think I'm joking. That's what makes it such foolishness.
Anyway, we had good seats and like a complete dork I start crying right when the lights turn off and my breath catches in my throat and I'm like, 'I love the arts...I love America....I love Disney Princesses...I love five dollar pajamas.'


This is Jasmine being hurled in the air holding her leg in a split which I don't even understand still. And many more things of that nature happened making the whole thing worth seeing
.
So my children are now in bed wearing their memento of the day (because they can because their cute nightgown shirts are now just nightgowns) without any glowly wandy thing that would have broken on the way home and, actually now that I'm listening...they're totally not asleep...never mind. At least I can't see them.

part two.

I saw Penelope again last night. I should stop. I just can't help the prettiness and there were girls going that I like so I had to. but I really need to stop the Penelope sickness obsession.

Part three

It's a full on blizzard and I just put my orange all-weather Tommy Bahama rug on my back porch...now it's a white, frozen mat of winter and and I can't bring it in or even move it. That b better be all-weather is all I'm saying.
Part Four

I made one of those junior high mix cd's for our pediatrician of all these songs in Spanish that I like a lot and I brought it to Dellah's appointment yesterday like, "HI..here's some music I made for you and a card..." He likes boys so I told him I tried to pick cute boys singing good songs in Spanish in case he wanted to look them up later on the internet. I felt strangely like a weird stalker girl even though he's my friend and then it occured to me that I had never made a mix cd for anyone. It's sort of stressful, right? Whatever you put on it is sort of rating your coolness factor....but Dr. Bancroft doesn't speak Spanish so he'll probably just continue thinking I'm nice. And why do I care because I'm married and he doesn't even like girls!

thanks for the memories...

6 comments:

Cindy Bean said...

They are so cute, it hurts us. Oh my gosh.


Why does Jasmine need to do the splits over her head while being carried around on ice. That's unnatural.

erin T to the S said...

Amen, I just don't get the contortionist part of being an Arabian...apparently ice does this to them. xox

andi said...

Jasmine is just trying to impress Dr. Bancroft. Poor girl.

erin T to the S said...

if she only knew...

emily said...

arabesque?

turns out all those ballet words mean something

erin T to the S said...

I know..we have fondue and glissee and pas de chat. I'm pretty sure those mean something...or other..