Monday, January 07, 2008

well, hello two thousand and eight.

This is a whole new day, people.
I love headbands. I have now amassed upwards of 11 headbands in the last couple of months. I'm of the opinion that if you don't constantly photograph yourself to plant any seeds that you might not look good in something, you should probably wear a headband every day.
My favorite thing is to wear a headband.
Also my other favorite thing is when Ruby doesn't wear a shirt but she wears pants and she tries to smell the artificial greenery on the banister and asks, 'mom, what it sme-oh yike....oh....limon..que dico'

I had this nice thought yesterday in church. Angels are the ones that write things down in heaven on their very beautiful unlined journals/books of life so that no one will ever forget it and if they do they can read the whole thing when they die. So when you get married and the preacher says we are gathered before God and these witnesses, that's just it. White dress, partner, house, kids, vacations, you die. Then sometimes when you go to other places to get married you hear that you are before God, Angels and witnesses......isn't that just nice? Isn't that almost sublime? white dress, partner, house kids (or not), vacation, then you die and everyone remembers it...it's written down...it always will be...(unless you don't want it to be) and you get to read it again. I thought that was a very happy thought.

I missed story time at the Library. oops. Also I got some amazingly out of my mind idea that, in a last ditch effort to remain sane at 9:45 am, I should get out the rubber stams and ink pads. I suppose it could have been worse or more messy but I'm going to have to think about how. Thank goodness for color wonder products but if you have to have their paper to draw on that gets annoying. Someone needs to tell their friend's cousin to invent the color wonder stamp pad, ok?

I believe that I wrote a long time ago about my bobby pin angst. It's coming back. WHERE THE CRAP ARE ALL MY BOBBY PINS??? arrrrrrggghgghghghgghggh.

We have this thing called 'hora de silencio' every day where you have to go be by yourself and it's your option to rest or not but you have to STAY IN YOUR ROOM! Dellah decided on Saturday that not only would she scream and hit me and insult me and wake up Ruby who wanted to exercise her option to sleep right across the hall, but she would also agree that, oh yes, sure, she could leave 'hora de silencio' but she would also lose ALL her toys and ALL her videos. I can't believe this kid. She followed me around while I, in an absoulte raging, boiling, angry rant, filled three trash bags with toys and 64 children's videos and went to put them ALL in the big green dumpster in the garage. (we all know that I'm not completely stupid so, of course I went back and hid the bags in another spot which Dr. Phil says not to do but he didn't spend $1,000 on videos over 3 years claiming that they were for children when mostly they were for me just to throw them away for real). So she doesn't even really care that she has no toys and I want to scrape my face off because she's a mean, evil wretch. I'm just kidding child and family services, I love her but, come on...what in the world do I do now and why is she so screamy and mad all the time? I told her that for every day she stays in her hora de silencio, she can remember one toy or video and win it back....so far they're all still resting peacefully behind the crib and the Christmas decorations.

I can't find one song on James Morrison's c.d., Undiscovered that I don't absolutely want to listen to all day.
Also I got the recipe from my sister-in-law, Rebecca for the frozen hot chocolate from Serendipity 3's in New York and I make it every sunday which is so incredibly tasty that I can hardly stand it.
also I got this huge red armoire from Downeast Home in their after Christmas sale for $250 and Gabriel had bought this other huge armoire to put the TV in as a surprise for after I got home from my parents' at Christmas and now I feel like I have some substantial pieces of furniture that come closer to the ceiling that my previous tiny tables and apartment stuff.
frivolities.
i gotta go vacuum

7 comments:

Madelyn Joy Lancaster said...

oh Dellah... maybe what you really need to do in order to somehow curb this child's need to be heard (or something) is to play the copycat game. You remember the one from elementary school that you imitate every word and action of the person you are trying to get to stop doing whatever they are doing... it might be shocking the first time you throw a tantrum that mimics her tantrum. It might feel good to blow off some steam. ;) Good find at Downeast by the way... I always have LOVED your decorating style... are you for hire? I am feeling in a home decorating rut and I need a change in 2008.

bug girl said...

Thanks for brightening up my day with your thoughts and stories. I need that bit of Erin to break-up my monotonous day.

I want to come visit this week. Be prepared.

Jackie said...

I like the first comment on this one...I actually pulled it off tonight... my 3 1/2 year old could not share and could not keep his paws off his 2 year old, half his size sister ALL day and had to do everything first, yada yada yada. So, when Daddy went to go turn on a light I, in a 3 year old fashion, pitched a fit that it was my turn and pushed him away. Well, it certainly made me feel good to regress in age about 22 years and it made the kids laugh as I made them guess who I was. :) I insist you try it; you'll love it.

JenW said...

you're doing good...does she want her stuff back yet? what a girl..if only logic worked. we can't get ethan to want to use the toilet...any suggestions?

erin T to the S said...

Angela I'll have to try the copycat trick
Kim I want to see you! call please!
Jackie, same with you, I did an FHE one time where we pretended to be the girls to show them how dumb they look when they fight and yell but it wasn't in normal life so they thought it was like watching a video, yours is a good idea to just do it in the middle of life like that
Flarnk...we have this Dora potty book and an elmo potty book that has a button you press to make a flushing noise...big hit...also I used to take Dellah in the bathroom lots of times a day and name all the things in there and let her flush the toilet and wash her hands and pull off some toilet paper to flush, etc. Then all through the day I would say, you know, big kids who go potty do xyz thing like go play at McDonalds or get a lollypop at the store...then the big one was taking her to a school yard with a playground and have her play and have fun and then all the way home talk about how fun it was and say that all the kids who go to that school use the potty...you have to use it to go to school...eventually she just said, 'oh, ok..I'll use the potty'

Becca said...

erin, did you know kristy pallizi? (not sure if i spelled her name right)

liz j said...

My younger brother and sister would play the "opposite copy-cat" game with my youngest sister. She would say "I hate carrots!" They would say, "I love carrots!" "Stop it!" "Keep going!" "I hate you!" "You love us!"

Terrible really. Very funny now, but terrible really.

Anyway, for some reason reading your last paragraph puts me in the mood for a milkshake. That must be good writing!