Friday, January 25, 2008

There just has got to be some sun somewhere

Good Grief, people. I AM SO FREAKING COLD! I always used to think my parents were so lame when I was like, 'i'm cold' and they were like, 'go put on some socks'. I always thought that home was a place where you didn't have to be fully and completely dressed and coverd with an afghan to feel cozy. Now I am living in my own house and I refuse to put on socks because it's just the principle of the thing, isn't it? Home is where the heart and the cold are apparently because no amount of thermostat is warming up this tiled kitchen floor. There is so much snow every single where I look it's just getting old. I'm over it. I'm just ready for two or three layers of clothing instead of 4 or 5. I am ready to have children who don't look like those kids in 'Flowers in the Attic' and can run and frolic in the outside world without their green snot freezing on their small anemic faces.
Ruby calls Dellah Ruby. I know I have mentioned this before but it never ceases to amaze me how her mind works. just when you think she's not the brightest light in the firmament she does these things that let you know that she's really got a lot going on, there just isn't a logical output button.
this happened today...
ruby: Mami, I wan mas gofish cwakahs
me: Ruby, you need to ask Dellah if you can have some of her goldfish crackers
ruby: Ruby puedo tener mas gofish cwakahs?
me: Ruby, her name is Dellah, your name is Ruby...ask Dellah if you can have some crackers and ask her with love.
Ruby: Deyah Ruby, can I haf mas gofish cwakahs?..... porta bort.
Dellah: here, Ruby
Me: Say thank you, Ruby
ruby: Thank you Ruby
me: No, Ruby, tell Dellah thank you..
ruby: Gracias Ruby.

HONESTLY!!! THE INSANITY.

Yesterday I went out to dinner with the girls I visit teach with to the little italian restaurant, Fratelli that was built in our neighborhood. It was fine, you know? We tried to talk about something religious so we could count it as our visiting teaching for the months so we talked about Mitt Romney among other things. They are lovely and nice with sparkly lipgloss and smart and funny and I came home and I was like, 'eh'....you know, I would rather clean toilets with my old friends than go be with new people and be like all, "oh, wow...that's great...what a good deal,......that's so funny...sure, you betcha,...how cute!' and then totally feel like 'eh' when it's over. There is just something to be said for the deep end of the pool you know...you can see to the bottom of the shallow end before you even get in it.

But I came home from that evening (sincerely hoping that it didn't count as my time by myself this week) to find Dellah playing Curious George on the laptop and working the little mouse and so proud of herself. Then she started singing, "Who let the dogs out, woof, woof, ruff, ruff"
I have always hated that song but it was so cute. I tried to ignore that fact that she said she learned it from Miss Jolley, her teacher at school...what happens at Quail Hollow elementary stays there I guess.

SO sunday my parents come to visit this winter wonderland of frozen-ness because they are thinking of buying a house here....I mean here....RIGHT DOWN THE STREET! hallelujah for me. The thought of it makes me feel pretty happy, not just to have some help every now and again but just to have some folks we're related to who care one way or the other. We're talking same ward here, people....same pew at church folks....I totally won the lottery if this happens because any and all future Sanchez people who come out of my belly will immediately be easier to deal with if there are 4 people on the job, you know? My dad could totally be our handy man and some projects could get done (not that Gabriel isn't the love of the century but, you know...handy is another thing altogether, isn't it)

I just saw hairspray....'eh'
i just saw stardust....pretty good because Claire Daines didn't cry that much with the ugly cry face she's perfected
I just saw Live Free or Die hard...awesome
I just saw the Last Legion with Collin Firth and I don't even care who else because it was Collin Firth and ancient rome and merlin the magician....dreamy

I think that's that for now

13 comments:

JenW said...

the answer to your temperature problem is ARIZONA at this time of the year. you really should find time one of these years to visit at the RIGHT time of year, people. you and mom included. see it at its best, not the worst, 110 degree nonsense in august! love you. glad you posted. did you ever see enchanted? i kind of really liked it.

erin T to the S said...

come on now, I have seen Enchanted twice so far with the girls and Dellah cries when it's over like "I love Giselle so much! I need her back". It was awesome. Arizona...I gotta get there one of these months.

andi said...

That toilet part totally made my day. So does that mean when I clean my toilet, I can count that as VT for the month. (Which curiously corresponds with how often I clean my toilet. But I got those automatic bleach blocks in the tank so it isn't as bad as it seems.)

bug girl said...

I felt the same way about Hairspray. It wasn't as good as I remember the hairspray moving with that one talk show lady.

Parents down the street really are a great thing. I hope it happens.

marshall p said...

who's a clever girl? who's the smartest and the best? yes, it's you, you silly bugger. come to my house again and be scared of my cat! I feel exactly the same way about new people. They're nice and all, but I already know all the best people. I'm getting old.

erin T to the S said...

Andi- it does count if you talk about BYU or garments or Mitt Romney while you clean the toilet.

Kim-I know, I'm so excited about the parents in the same vacinity...they're at the sales office right now discussing financing and fanegaling :)

Marsha-I wish I could go to your house all the time, evil undead cat or not...but there's thursday and tacos right? xoxo

Michelle said...

hi erin, i'm a virgin to your site, but marsha gave me advice from your blog so i thought i would check it out. i love your pool: friendship analogy. i think you warned me about this whole new mom thing, and i'm making new friends everywhere i go just so i don't stay in the house and get depressed, but i sure do miss the deep-end friends. and i wish that they would all have new babies so they can know what i mean. you know what i mean?

erin T to the S said...

I totally know exactly what you mean, Michelle. Moms are my heroes...especially the new ones..it's such a hard job that you sometimes wish you could just get fired from. I'm so glad you came to my blog. Hooray for scorpios!

liz j said...

Loved Stardust and Live Free or Die Hard too!

Too tired to comment on the deeper stuff. But I LOVE reading your blog!

Cammie said...

Hi Erin (and Michelle), I agree with the new mom thing too! I remember talking with you on the phone maybe 2 years ago and it felt so good to know you knew what I was feeling.

Cindy Bean said...

I can't believe I haven't posted anything on here. I'm a horrible friend. Ruby will probably like old radio shows because it seems like she gets her material from there. "Who's on first..."

I liked that Stardust too.

Live Free or Die Hard is awesome.

I tagged you on my blog.

andi said...

I just tagged you too! I figure if we all tag you then maybe you will finally get to it.

ps. My husband is home but too jet lagged to be any good to me before he leaves tomorrow for another week.

Michelle said...

more, more, more!!!