Thursday, November 22, 2007

Dia de accion de gracias

In Spanish this day is called, not just thanksgiving, but 'day of the action of thanks'. I've thought about what the actions of thanks are and how I don't really do any of them and that probably means that I suck on a lot of levels but I am actually very grateful for how nice my life is. I think that to some, my life would seem ideal and even idyllic. I think that if I take an inventory and list all the bad (which I will right now) I will still probably come up grateful....let's try.
bad:
1. I used to be a good writer and have all kinds of creativity coming and going from my mind. Now I am a blank because I am depleted mentally most of the time.
2. I can't wear my cutest clothes because my body is my enemy.
3. I have probably always been totally messed up but I have never taken medicine every morning and night, reaffirming to myself that I am flawed and un-whole and less somehow because my brain doesn't make norepinephrin.
4. My mom has cancer and chemo and no hair and no energy and I feel like I'm looking in a mirror of the future every time I talk to her or about her and that scares me.
5. My baby has epilepsy and has seizures every time she sleeps and isn't the same as other kids her age and I feel when I am all by myself that it is somehow my fault for taking prevacid while I was pregnant or getting pregnant so soon after Dellah (even thought it was an accident) or falling on a staircase in remote Mexico at 26 weeks.
6. I have to make my life fit around therapy sessions for Ruby and Neurologist appointments for Ruby and make sure that Ruby takes her 2.5 mL of Keppra twice a day and make sure that I walk the line between insanity and love because when she's older she's not going to know how loud she cried and how much it made me want to hide....she'll just remember if I did hide...so I don't.
7. I don't contribute in any way to my own financial life. I haven't had a job in 4 years. I don't particularly want to go to a job every day but there is a sense of agility and freedom that come with knowing you can do it yourself...or at least some of it. I looked at my resume the other day and tried to imagine actually giving it to an employer right now...absolutely no one would think I could do anything except dress mannequins at Baby gap or teach Mormon missionaries.
8. I live in the same state with my sister who I haven't spoken to since my birthday in October and before that since last Christmas and that just feels like a small version of a lesser degree of glory.
9. That same sister lives 15 minutes from her husband's family and my little sister lives 5 minutes from her in laws and an hour from her husband's grandparents and my brother lives 30 minutes from my sister-in-law's parents. All of these people can go and do things and go on trips and have help that they don't have to pay or bribe and I don't have anyone.
10. I have hemorrhoids. bad ones. it's gross.
11. I feel like I should have another baby and Gabriel doesn't want to go through 40 weeks of sickness just to have no sleep and more crying kids....I'm pretty sure Heavenly Father is more on my side.
12. I can't see. I'm on the last contacts that you can have before you have to wear glasses over contacts for more correction and everything is still all blurry.
13. I can't find my necklace with the block of wood on the chain.

As you can tell, there are some cons. Every life has cons but I think, basically, I would probably, in most cases choose my own crap back out of a pile of every one's all together.
My children are happy and have all their limbs. They make me laugh and I can't even stand how cute they are sometimes. My husband is just unbelievably good. I mean, really. Every day I'm positive there's got to be a catch. I have a warm house. I have a new house. I have a good car. My mom and dad are alive and I can talk to them whenever they answer the phone. I am one of the 8 maids a milking in a PBS Christmas special....I just found the Charlie Brown Christmas movie in another effort to make sure that my children have every single toy and book and experience that I ever had as a child which they will totally need therapy for and I seem to revel quite a bit.
I love the scriptures. I love the gospel. I am truly positive that Heavenly Father answers prayers and I am always happiest when I do what he wants.
I have wonderful and brilliant friends who inspire me. I have good teeth. My body hair is blond. I don't have cochlear implants. I speak a foreign language and I always know when Latinos are making fun of me. I have a $90 sweater from Urban Outfitters that is the only thing I have ever spent that much money on and it makes me feel happy. My dove deodorant doesn't leave white marks on my clothes just like the commercial says. I made sweet potato souffle today for part of Thanksgiving and it was magically delicious. We went to see Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium this morning with the girls and we didn't have to leave for anyone screaming uncontrollably or wetting their pants. I got up and did Pilates this morning in an effort to quell my appetite for later which didn't exactly work but I felt better about it. My hair is growing out to a normal length for someone with my bone to chub ratio. I'm just positive that the Savior really does live to grant us rich supply and I can be the best version of myself if I just try to be more like Him. Yesterday in the car, Ruby said, "Mami, estoy muy feliz" all in one sentence like that...out of the blue...the most unhappy, inconsolable child I have ever met who has spent her life exhausted and wordless told me she was very happy. How in the world can I think that I'm un-happy?
I have practiced the action of gratitude.

11 comments:

andi said...

I vote for getting a job. Of course, I just spent all morning on my own blog complaining about Julie Beck so maybe that disqualifies me as an advisor. I think you would love a job.

Cindy Bean said...

Andi's crazy, you can't get a job. You've got a full-time job already.

I love that sweater too. You lost your block of wood on a chain necklace? Sad.

You're still a good writer.

erin T to the S said...

get a job, don't get a job...eek.
I think I'll work on getting a life and then I'll get a job or else then it will be time to go on a senior mission with Gabriel.
ps. block of wood on a chain found.

Schyler said...

My heart aches for babies who have babies who need a daddy to rock them when phone calls are colder and too distant for what's needed.
Therapy is way over rated when prayer is ready at hand and works so well. When in Kenora, Ontario, I lost my contact lens in the hotel room, prayed and was prompted to send a shot of water into the sink and the lens floated out of a crevice near the plug.
I ran across this quote the other day which offends me slightly by putting all resonsibility squarely on my own shoulders:
"I credit one simple concept with getting me started on my journey into self-discovery. After a great deal of study and contemplation, I came to the conclusion that people have in their lives today exactly what they keep telling their mind they want." Dr. Walter Doyle Staples (whoever he is)

erin T to the S said...

Thanks, dad...I'm glad to see that you pray over the small things since I remember having that conversation with you 5 years ago and you thought the Lord didn't care where your keys were. Perhaps he doesn't care so much about 4th and 18 during the BYU game but that didn't stop me either. Yeah that Walter dude needs to maybe think about Ruby...she's been focusing on Neurology since primordial life so she actually wants to have all this in her life? yeah, I don't think so...

JOSH AND ANGELA said...

We miss you, Erin! (and Gabriel, too) Viva la Brigham Apts is all I have to say even though it is lovely to have homes of our own but I confess that your home is painfully far away from our home which is a major downer. We are found on blogspot now... therichensfamily.blogspot.com

I am sorry to hear about Ruby and your mom but just know that you have anything from us and you don't have to pay or bribe us for it either...WE LOVE YOUR GUTS!

erin T to the S said...

viva the Richens! hoooray! so good to hear from you!

marshall p said...

you're a genius. and my favorite mom. (so far, until I have spawn, then I will be my favorite mom.)

don't worry about a job. you have a job.

Whitney said...

You make me feel normal, and thank you. Just as I was typing this I realized that my son dumped a bag of soggy rock pops all over my newly reupholstered couch, which he peed on yesterday. And Yet I continue to type with one hand, the other one holding soggy rock pops, when i should be cleaning or disciplining him. You are not alone, just as the song says.

Don't get a job, even though it sounds like a good idea. it just brings a lot more crap into your life. (You should just resell clothes on ebay.)

emily said...

one day we will all look back at this time of our lives as the most exciting and scary and fulfilling time when everything was growing and happening. erin, you're good at living in the middle of your life like that.

erin T to the S said...

there is so much validation on the internet right now. I want to stay here on this comment page all day long....I love you girls.