Monday, October 13, 2008

16 more days

It is 16 more days before I get to the 2nd ugliest age ever invented (31 being the first, 32 being the second). 32? what in the world IS it? It doesn't relate to anything and it sounds bad. there's no symmetry in 32. I'm not saying I'm old because I don't think 32 is old, I'm just saying it's ugly. ugly, ugly.

We just spent the last 9 days with Gabriel's brother and his family who stayed with us while. We are changed Sanchezes. Sarah and Sergio (that's their names) are those people who don't ever yell. I mean never. They don't get that fire of hell look in their eyes when their children whine and act out. NO, Sarah and Sergio don't play that...they fight fire with bubbles and naughtiness with tickling. I admire most everything about them as parents. So far we have quite a few days of not going ballistic on our children and our children are quite happy and, in some cases pleasantly surprised I'm sure, that we have had a live in example of how to be better and we're practicing. I have prayed and prayed for answers to my prayers and I have been frustrated to tears with my inability to see changes or even know what else to do. Thank you, Sarah and Sergio for showing us the way. Sometimes you get feelings and sometimes you get houseguests....they're all answers.

Yesterday was major drama at the primary program. Dellah has had her line memorized for 2 months."the prophet teaches us to be honest and pay our tithing". If you know her you know that she can't stop singing EVER so she knew all the songs too. We get to church early and she's wearing her pretty pretty dress and her magenta tights and her red patent maryjanes and she goes to sit on the stand. The program starts and she's fine. I am a child of God goes off without a hitch. She goes up to do her line with her trademark impeccable e-nun-ci-ationnn and she gets the appreciative giggle that comes when folks see such a small girl with such a clear voice.
Then we get to the rest of the songs and program where it was a cattle drive to the front of the podeum every time there was a song and there was no adult regulation of size order or shoving. Little 30 pound 4 year old Dellah kept getting shoved by these 6 or 7 year old kids and even one kid who's her age and, after 2 songs behind some mean huge kid who only thinks of themselves, she totally lost it up there on the stand. She's crying and saying,'but they're pushing me and I can't see and they're just pushing me and I can't see and they keep on pushing..." you can imagine. Her sweet teacher holds her for the rest of the non-song parts and the kids get the hint, sort of, that they need to ease up on the violence. She didn't sing any songs for all the drama. We are the parents of a Primary program sub-plot in carnate....nice.
I felt this uncontrolled urge to get up and shout, "what is wrong with you people, can't you see that all these big kids are crowding all these tiny little kids who have never done this before and no one can see them?!!!! there was a stinging in my eyes and a saliva building in my mouth from the rage.
Then I decided to ignore it and tell Dellah she did great (because she did) and try to say we should be more like Jesus and forgive people for pushing us when we're 3 1/2 feet tall and they're huge and could be seen easily with no effort BEHIND the tiny kids but they didn't move because they're lame (I mean kids).
Now she says that the next time she has a program she'll wear the same dress and sing all the songs loudly. Here's to missed chances and kids with no social graces.
hip hip hooooorayyy.

down below here I have a post about my sister you should read.

thanks for playing.

9 comments:

Cammie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cammie said...

Poor little Dellah. She sounds so darling and I bet her little dress and tights are darling too. Her resolution to wear her dress in and sing loud next time is the cutest.

I can imagine Soren responding the same way after being pushed around. He's very aware of social injustice and things that just aren't right. Let's give in up for our little ones!

JenW said...

i am excited to just hear of parents who are as effective and "not me" as sarah and serigo. they sound so amazing, i want to be like them, and now you (as if i didn't want to be like you before, because i totally did) for being such great parents. i am sad that dellah got pushed around at church! come on people, seriously! the girl's four AND insanely cute. let's hear it for dellah! i love you guys, i am totally pumped to see you way sooner than later!

Nigel said...

Hi. You don't know me, but I know Marshall P. Anyway, I have an amusing story about being 32. My wife's grandparents were Swedish immigrants with heavy accents. Once, grandpa was introducing the family (at church, during a talk)and telling everyone's ages. Along the line he says what sounds like, "My wife's dirty, and I'm dirty too."

Steve, Kristine, Cole, Kade said...

Happy Birthday! I will be 32 in 20 days! Yeah to us!

The Family said...

Oh my dearest Erin. Let me just tell you that I share your sentiment about being 32. I hit that mark in July. Not only did it sting to be a year older but I was also 40 lbs heavier and not feeling cute at all. It seems to mark an age when you can no longer pass as someone who is still maybe in their 20's. Nope, not when you're 32...you are totally into your 30's by then, there is no turning back...anyhow, Frank got a call from your dad. That's awesome!! And so are you no matter how old you are, I still love and adore you!!

Mama Thompson said...

Erin, erin...I have found you and now shall blog stalk you...because I can! And I miss you...and I am here in San Diego attending Kris' wedding with Laura and I am thinking about red robin and a pound of fries and I miss you dearly and need to meet with you at Red Robin again...Teri

Team Clark said...

Oh, that's so sad. Poor little Dellah.
But that's so great about your in laws and what you're learning from them! Hooray for that. I've learned little things like that here and there from neighbors and stuff. It's amazing how people don't let their feathers get ruffled so easily. I admire those people so much.
And 32 - very interesting...good luck with that! :)

erin T to the S said...

cammie - seriously, Soren and Dellah can be activists together when they're big

jen - you're nice...Sarah and Sergio are for rent if you want them to come over sometimes :)

nigel dirty two....heh, heh, heh

kristine happy birthday to us all! are you a scorpio too? nice.

liz - your new baby is so beautiful! I need to see you guys again!

teri - oh my goodness! I was just thinking about you the other day because we actually went to red robin and there are some people that fries just taste better with, you know? Your son is gorgeous!

Aim you ARE one of those people who remains calm all the time, silly girl.