Thursday, June 05, 2008

Mi Dellita Querida

My little Dellah Faye turned 4 today. (I think it's technically Thursday the 5th but I haven't been to sleep since it was Wednesday the 4th). You know, you only ever get one of the 4 on the 4th or the 29 on the 29ths. Everyone in our family has had theirs now except for Ruby who has to wait 22 more years...I'm a little relieved every time we exit that two month period where both of my children are the same age...now we have a three and a four. It's not so 'side show' that way.

So, today was her day and we went to the dollar movie to see Horton Hears a Who and then to the restaurant of choice for the children in my house, Noodles and Company. My mom is visiting with us so Dellah got to spend lots of time with her favorite person, my mom!

This is the cake I made after being told that it had to have flowers, ladybugs, butterflies and sunshine. The ladybugs are buttons. I think it turned out rather well, actually


She ate all of her macaroni. And then we went home to eat cake and open presents.


From the first minute I saw Dellah I absolutely knew I was in love with her like every mom is with her baby. she seemed older than one of those newborn folks. She took up so much 'room' from the very beginning. Our house seemed full of somebody big and she was so small.

She has proceeded to be the absolute joy of my life. She is seriously hilarious. (and bossy and stubborn and melodramatic) and her little squeaky voice never stops saying so much STUFF it's unbelievable..who even knows what most of it's about. There is something hugely 'me' about her and then something of Gabriel and then there's that thing that everybody comes with that genetics just doesn't do.
She didn't know (or maybe she did) that she would only get a few weeks with a mom who wasn't pregnant and sick and couldn't get out of bed for months. She just lay there beside me on the bed and slept and cooed and played quietly. She didn't know maybe that she would still be in a rear facing car seat and not even walking yet when her sister would come with a whole bag of drama and take the spotlight off of her exclusively. She did, however spend the first two months of her life looking fixedly at the ceiling and smiling. Only Dellah could have been Ruby's sister and live to tell the tale.

Dellah is the lightening bug in darkness.
She seriously drives me insane.
she does things that I fully remember doing as a really small child but it's just too weird to see them done all over again and realize you can't even get mad because you empathize with her mindset. poor girl. I guess there are worse things that having your mother's neuroses but she probably won't think so.


I love this little girl. It feels like so much longer than 4 years. I don't remember what the world was like without her. Maybe the world doesn't remember either.

Tu eres mi luz, mi amorcita bonita banana. Mi amor. Mi vida. mi preciosa. mi princesa.

7 comments:

bug girl said...

That is such a beautiful tribute. I wish I were Dellah. /And the cake is very pretty.

Baker said...

The cake is amazing. I'm so impressed! Beautiful girls, beautiful you. Sorry if it seems like I'm blog stalking you. I would love to hear from you.
Laura

Team Clark said...

Great pics, Erin! And you look great - I like your hair - I guess it's been a while since I've seen you. And your mom looks great, too!
Great job on the cake - I had no idea you were a baker.
Happy birthday to Dellah!

Cindy Bean said...

I remember when she was born and how beautiful she was. Her pretty little fingers were so long and graceful. You have such lovely daughters. Happy birthday Dellah!

marshall p said...

so cute! 100% (you too, you sexy thing!) happy birthday, dellah!

Andrea said...

She's beautiful!

Mary Lampros said...

You made me cry, Erin. I am eating up your writing style and honesty...you can tell, since I'm way back on this post. Love it. Can't get over how amazing that picture is of Dellah. And what a tribute to her you're writing, so fitting. I still remember the moment I first saw Dellah at church, when she captured my...I don't know, eyes, mind, heart, everything...that moment she smiled at me. She was what, six months old?