Thursday, December 06, 2007

'tis the season

It looks like it's going to snow. We have a Christmas tree. We have these little white candles in our windows at night. We have a lighted garland with christmas ornaments hanging on it going up our stairs. We have two little christmas trees in urns on either side of our door with little white lights on them. We have a sparkly wreath on our door. Now there are two parts of me. There is the part that's like, come on, Erin...think outside the holiday gift box a little and do something creative with your decorations...your whole downstairs is pink for goodness' sake..... and then there's the part that's like, "look....this is my house and it's so simple and traditional and sparkly, hooray!" ....
rock and roll band boys or dead poet's society boys....this was always my quandry....and I ended up with the preppy responsible extremely cute and good boy....
maybe that explains the house.

It happens about once a year that the feelings of disgust start creeping up for the amount of stuff that we (I) have accumulated (namely clothing for small children). If you only could fathom the sheer volume of things I have for a little boy you would be embarrassed for me...
I SO don't have a little boy and my husband doesn't even want to reproduce again so I'll just be this freaky Norman Bates lady dressing up all the neighborhood kids like the boy I never had.
I just find it hard to give up on the whole 'at least two more kids' thing even though most of the time I am crap at parenting. There's just something about little folks that I love. Like Ruby standing on the stairs right now saying , "Mami, hep me, I need hep... I tot-ing da sky, look!"
So, anyway, I'm cleaning out the nooks and crannies and making 20 boxes into 4 reasonable ones. Some would call this consolidation. I prefer to call it 'way to make me feel like I've accomplished something and help prevent me from shopping for kids clothes.'

It's time to go to preschool now so I must adjourn. we're all wearing various renditions of the pajama and that needs to be fixed before we go.
feliz dia jueves.
erin

5 comments:

Jen said...

i miss D.I., goodwill, salvation army. i miss them because they take the responsiblity out of finding new homes for my excess. without them here i feel a responsibility to give the right things to the right people without having those other people feel back, trying truly to determine who really is the needier recipient.

i love remembering the fact that you had boxes of baby clothes under your bed in college. now you have the best dressed babies in town.

Jen said...

i miss D.I., goodwill, salvation army. i miss them because they take the responsiblity out of finding new homes for my excess. without them here i feel a responsibility to give the right things to the right people without having those other people feel back, trying truly to determine who really is the needier recipient.

i love remembering the fact that you had boxes of baby clothes under your bed in college. now you have the best dressed babies in town.

andi said...

You can give your boy clothes to my sister, Marcia. Today she had a brand new baby boy. No word as of yet on the name. She's leaning toward Tate. Tate Wride. That sounds like 'Tant Right. I am praying for a reasonable miracle. I'll keep you posted.

In the mean time, you need to come to my house and work your Christmas decorating magic here. Drama.

erin T to the S said...

ooohhh...jen, yes, definitely...thrift shopping makes life's decisions a little easier..

andi-drama? do tell. Tate's not bad...could be worse...

Becca said...

i would totally take your unwanted baby clothes! with your baby boy clothing excess, you could be like oprah for my ill-dressed henry.

oh, and i, too, have the same problem deciding between indi-thrift store-homemade-vintage-chic christmas and really cute pottery barn/target christmas. i like them both, but the target way is so much easier. i think once you have more than one kid it just gets really hard to find the time to put into being uber-creative. it's like all the extra brain power that went in to re-purposing thrift store finds is now spent on avoiding getting poop on your hands while changing a very squirmy baby's diaper.

you should post pictures of your festive house!